Saturday, 8 May 2010

altered jigsaw pieces for PDA

Two current challenges on PDA  (paper digital images by Kim) require the altering of jigsaw puzzle pieces. I seem to be doing quite a few of these recently! The themes are "Bubbles" and for the second challenge, "Let's go Fly a Kite". I took a little while to think about these and decided to try to do something a little different for me. I seem to be getting into a rut of using simple collage techniques too often, so here is one answer to this.

flying his kite

Here I have used one of my own watercolour paintings as the base image and have embellished it with a felt Kite and a wool fibre for it's tail. The line is replaced by a wire threaded from a hole by the raised hand to another under the bottom apex of the kite. The cloth/paper flowers were added as an afterthought to add a little balance to the piece.

And another similar answer was...


Here I have again used the gold foil sweet wrapper to provide a background. The image is from the painting by Millais, "Bubbles". The embelishments and fibres, etc were added to provide interest. The smaller beads were supposed to represent the bubbles being blown by the little lad.

I am not at all sure that the addition of the embellishments works in either of the pieces, and it certainly goes against my usual style where I tend to keep everything as simple as possible. MAybe I am adding too many, too quickly. Will have to be carerful, until I understand why I am adding them. Do they aadd anything artistically. I like to see busy art by other artists but it never seems to work for me personally. Needs some thought!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Beautiful John! I love the kite one, your painting is fab and I think the flower embellishments do work. The whole piece is fab!

I like the idea of using sweet wrappers (probably just because I like the thought of eating the sweets!) Great idea using the beads as bubbles - maybe I wouldn't have used so many - but that's just me and I'm certainly no expert.