Thursday 3 December 2009

sketching again

Recently I have been starting to paint again, and this has resulted in my taking a sketchbook out with me. I have to admit that this is something I haven't done for far too long. I do enjoy sketching but there doesn't seem much point when I am mostly making art by collaging and other similar pusuits. BUT painting, now there is a reason for carrying a sketchbook. I always preferred working from my own sketches.

I have been away for a couple of days ( a yearly treat before settling down to the rigours of christmas) and came back with a few entries in my sketchbook. I was particularly pleased with this sketch as I always considered that long distance scenes like this were "not my thing". The view from our hotel window however was so inspiring, that I just had to have a go. It is a view across the front of the hotel which is situated on Cleeve Hill, near Cheltenham. The village of Bishop's Cleeve is just below the escarpment and Tewksbury is just the other side of the M5 motorway, not seen in the mists. The Malvern Hills form the backdrop of the scene. On this particular morning the tops of these distant hills were standing out from the heavy mist.



cleeve hill double page spread from my sketch book

I also include here a watercolour sketch in which I am trying to use the techniques I have been practising. The scene is largely out of my head.



Winter Tree Line

I am quite pleased with it however and will be carrying on with this technique until I am happy that I have got it taped.

No comments: