Saturday 8 March 2008

coloured pencil sketch

Wow it seems such a long time since my last post, I have been away over the last couple of weekends and time at the PC keyboard has been very limited. My wife gets quite uppity if I seek out an internet cafe while we are away, don't know why but there it is!!!

The first weekend was a visit to Dublin to visit an aunt of my wife's who has been in hospital for some time, we had intended to take her a couple of presents. One of these was a sketch book and some coloured pencils to pass some time but unfortunately, we didn't think that she would be up to it so bought them away. I decided that I could put them to some use. That evening in the hotel I picked up a postcard and started to idly sketch away. It has been so long since I did any "real" drawing that I am afraid it seems a little simplistic, I felt very rusty - but as I have no new work to post I thought that i would share this with you anyway.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I seem to have lost the sky in the scanning operation but never mind, we all know the sky is there, don't we? the major problem is the correction (?) of the shape of the simple building . there was a time when such a simple use of perspective would have been no problem. i keep saying that I want to paint again, well... I will have to get in a little drawing practice first.
This last weekend, we decided to spend a couple of days in the Cotswold, a beautiful location in the heart of the English countryside. Wish I could show you a few pictures but would you believe that I didn't take my camera. In the event althought it was quite cold, the sun shone brilliantly every day and I found myself longing to be taking pictures. But we had a great time, I added to my craft book library and we came back much more relaxed and ready to get on with life. If you would like to see photos of Bourton-on-the-water where we stayed, what better than the villages official web-site.
Hope to have more art to post in the next few days.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Glad youv'e had a nice holiday John, the Cotswolds look amazing. I love your little sketch and can't wait to see more if you decied to start painting again.

My name is Cindy said...

Bourton on the Water is lovely, although I haven't been there for many years (14 in fact!!). If you think that sketch is simplistic you should see the perspectives I've done for one of my clients, I seem to have lost the knack as well. Us eit or lose it I suppose. I think you r sketch looks just fine.

Naj said...

Lovely colourful sketch!

John Dyhouse said...

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments -John